- "Terrorist" networks : NetWar / GlobalGuerrillas
- The MediaSystem (main focus of NetoCracyMediaAgainstTheState)
- International corporations (see CorporationsArePsychopaths)
- Always has been under-attack from TheMarket and money. Recent debate in US about funding for non-party campaign groups is interesting : http://www.hyperorg.com/blogger/mtarchive/002999.html
- NetworkedIndividualism (see also InvisibleVillages)
- Loss of economic control : BlackMarket
Fights back with WiredCops
- on types of failure of states : http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/globalguerrillas/2004/05/failed_states.html
- failed states vs. rogue states : http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/globalguerrillas/2004/08/journalfailed.html
- failed states in terms of HierarchyOfNeeds : http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/globalguerrillas/2004/12/legitimacy_101.html
- HedgeFunds are AlQuaeda's allies : http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/globalguerrillas/2004/06/alqaedasally_.html
: Maybe what you'd expect? Two branches of NetoCracy, a terrorist network and a financial network, co-operating against the nation state. Almost by definition, doesn't have to be planned or explicit to be happening. It's emergent co-operation. (See also BazaarOfViolence)
- links to MartinVanCreveld's good history of the rise, decline and possible end of the state. (Seems a centre-rightist perspective but fair) : http://d-n-i.net/creveld/the%20fateofthestate.htm
: another interesting point from this essay. States had to join InternationalStandardsBodies in order to get the best out their communication technology, interop with the neighbouring states.
- Jan 2005, cheery WilliamLind says Most significantly, if we look at the larger world, we see ever more states coming unglued, which is the root phenomenon of FourthGenerationWar. The Saudi regime is in trouble, and its replacement will not be parliamentary democracy. Pakistans General Musharraf is one bomb away from his destiny, at which point al Qaeda will have nukes (if it doesnt already). Russias President Putin is acting to strengthen the Russian state because he knows the states existence is on the line in Russia. In West Africa, the state is almost gone, and it is going in the rest of Africa. Most interestingly, as the next few months will likely show, the state is fracturing in Israel, a modern, Westernized country. That is how Fourth Generation war works: it pulls the state apart at the moral level. Soon, just as Arab is fighting Arab, Jew will be fighting Jew. : http://d-n-i.net/lind/lind121_05.htm
Local private feifdoms : http://belmontclub.blogspot.com/2005/05/non-state-belligerents-bombing-of.html
: Compare BernardLietaer/HellOnEarth
Are the problem of the nation-state under attack just a sub-class of a the more general patterns of networks undermining hierarchies?
Maybe that should lead to a bit of CounterThinking. All those claims of networks inevitably beating hierarchies need to wonder about the times when HierarchiesBeatNetworks. Sometimes the conditions go the other way.
What to do
If we want to repair nations we need to think about /NationBuilding but a BazaarOfViolence is an alternative structure which can occupy the same space and prevent nation states succeeding. (See also PlatformWars)
Maybe resilience is what's needed : http://zenpundit.blogspot.com/2005/11/countering-4gw-state-resilience-not.html
BrittBlaser : ''
The Network has the power to make American Politicians as irrelevant as the British Monarchy.'' (Compare http://www.blaserco.com/blogs/2005/06/27.html#a350 (Compare EmergentDemocracy)
JohnRobb finds a "dangerous idea" compelling : what use is the nation state?
See also :
- BlockChains allow markets and an entire financial sphere which don't depend on any nation-state or its authority to back them up.** Blockchain based economies still, obviously, need governments to define and justify the enforcement of PropertyRights. But don't need the government to check up on accounts, manipulate the money supply or