Context : EducationExploded, AcademicPublishing, PersonalKnowledgeManagement, ToolsForThought
Notebooks for academics (scientists, researchers etc.) which allow connection to datasets and embedded code. AcademicKnowledgeManagementSoftware
- JuPyter is probably an early example.
- NextJournal is a company offering hosting of them.
- MariaCloud is a ClojureLanguage interactive one.
- Pronto? (See LivelyKernel)
- NewSpeak's web IDE might actually be close to my dream in SmalltalkNeedsANewUI
- 2022 basic workspaces in Cardigan Bay are running, allowing you to both embed running ClojureScript scripts into your pages. AND publish them to your static / public site. More on CardiganBayWorkspacePublishing)
These ought to be the focus of academic publishing and practice.
AcademicJournals ought to insist that all publications are accompanied by a Smart Notebook.
DigitalGardening is a more general note-taking / PKM culture. So ToolsForDigitalGardeners is related.
Zotero is a BrowserExtension which is aimed at helping you collect citations to AcademicJournals articles etc.
What's wrong with them : https://austinhenley.com/pubs/Chattopadhyay2020CHI_NotebookPainpoints.pdf
Clerk for example is designed to avoid certain problems with them :
Specifically Clerk wants to address the following problems:
- Less helpful than my editor
- Notebook code being hard to reuse
- Reproduction problems coming from out-of-order execution
- Problems with archival and putting notebooks in source control
Seems to me these issues could be solved within notebooks too, if the notebook designers decide to take them seriously.
Backlinks (26 items)