Damaging Social Media
UmairHaque points out how damaging Instagram and other social media are for young people. https://eand.co/social-media-is-destroying-a-generation-of-young-people-especially-women-e52269846ee2
Compare : SnapChatDysmorphia
See also :
- TheAIDilemma is the follow up, highlighting the many bad scenarios that will arise in the coming AI boom. But doing so through analogous principles with social media problems.
Quora Answer : Have you been limiting your social media use and, if so, what are you doing?
I closed my Facebook account in 2013, and have never had Instagram or WhatsApp.
I do use other social media (I was an early adopter and at one point was on 16 social networks) but I'm largely down to
- Twitter (I do a burst of tweeting / following links on Twitter about once a week, any more is too time consuming),
- LinkedIn (actually I just have an (outdated) CV there, I don't go there much)
- Quora (this is the big one, the one I waste too much time on)
- My own blogs / wiki / home pages (I don't put enough time / attention into these and ... sadly ... they're a bit outdated)
Given the dominance of Facebook these days, most of the other places are pretty much ghost-towns so it's been easy to drop out of them.
Not being on Facebook is a bit of a pain, when you hear about someone did a gig or there was a party and you say "why didn't you tell me?" and they're like all "oh, I forgot, you don't have Face"
OTOH, there are lots of things I avoid through not being on Facebook. And I suspect my view of my fellow humans is more positive through mainly seeing them through the lens of Quora.
Backlinks (18 items)