Part of ThoughtsOnNewMedia
In a famous analysis, Bill Joy, chief scientist of Sun described 6 webs.
Some possible other webs
- The Kitchen Web - aka the internet on the fridge door.
- Why? Is it just a world wide recipe book? Is there another application for this stuff? Start here to think about kitchen automation, the domestic network ...
- The Toy Web
- Very soon we're going to get net connected children's toys. Imagine a robot teddy bear that can be used to send hugs across the world; singing Bass that hook directly to Napster.
- TomCoates : Where's the teddy bear that shivers when it's cold outside?! (need http://www.plasticbag.org/archives/2004/10/linksfor20041028.shtml (need to find it in a long list of short links)
- MIT make it : http://www.botjunkie.com/2008/11/24/robodev-mits-huggable-telepresence-bear/
- Wireless wonders on thinking of you : http://wirelesswonders.blogspot.com/2005/04/thinking-of-youidea-43100.html
- The TeleDildonic Web - the grown-up version of the above. (See also : http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,58442,00.html :-)
- The Clothes Web - your jacket talks to your jewellery, your earrings arrange a date with the nose-stud of the cute boy behind you on the bus, and your watch reminds you when and where to keep it ...
: No actually, my guess is that the first big hit of this will be security like this. You BlueTooth connect your phone to your keys to your wallet. If you leave one of them behind and it gets out of range, other devices in your personal clothes / device swarm immedietely bleep loudly to warn you ... they could alert you to other potential attacks too : pickpocketing, your bag being slit open, a gun being waved at you ...
- The Scented Web - Is there a good use for aroma-generating devices? Is there value in networking them together?
::See Meatball:IsmellDevice for brief notes on the unfortunately-named and now defunct iSmell. –StephenGilbert
- TheFlowInternet - the animated web of data which flows from one point to another. Either via weblogs copying news, RSS feeds, or something like ZbigniewLukasiak's SocialRouting.
- The EnergyWeb - a web integrated with the power-network