Stuff about design etc.
Q : Phil, I notice when you talk about design I can't tell whether you're talking about visual or graphic design, software design, architecture, interaction design, whatever. You just seem to blur from one to another.
A : I know :-)
Q : But, come on! Surely these are different areas where different principles apply, different methods and skills are needed to be succesful. You can't just argue that something that works for software (like ExtremeProgramming's rejection of Wiki:BigUpFrontDesign) can be carried across to graphic design of an advertising campaign, or town planning.
A : Yeah, of course. If I said that I'd be guilty of the error that I always accuse graphic design trained web-designers of : bringing the criteria of good print design to the web without noticing the difference of the medium. I guess what I really think is that there might be some more abstract design principles lurking behind all these domains, and that by chaotically flipping from one field to another, the specifics get criticised away and the blur lets you see the commonalities. (Though remember the DevilIsInTheDetails)
Rich Hickey on Design
Mini Design LinkBin
- FengShui of cyberspace : http://www.v-2.org/displayArticle.php?article_num=27
- CSSZenGarden : http://www.csszengarden.com/
- Single image narratives : http://www.adh.brighton.ac.uk/schoolofdesign/MA.COURSE/LSingleImage.html
- Cities and Buildings Database : http://content.lib.washington.edu/cities/index.html
- Design revolution : http://www.fastcompany.com/subscr/83/open_edlet.html
- design boom : http://www.designboom.com/eng/index.xtml
- (now http://journal.aiga.org/ (now with Momus essays)
- Report on DoorsOfPerception in India : http://www.viridiandesign.org/2005/04/viridian-note-00438-delhian-doors-of.html
See also :
- ArtToys, OnGames
Backlinks (37 items)