Is EP just SocioBiology warmed up?
I think there are three clear differences. Sociobiology believed all behaviours existed for the benefit of the gene. And therefore could be reduced to / explained by biological necessities.
EP in contrast ...
- reintroduces interest in SexualSelection : therefore traits can exist not because they are utilitarian but attractive. (Suddenly there is no requirement to show that a behaviour increases utility to show that it is inate.)
- introduces notion of memetics which is a theory of an autonomous cultural level that doesn't need to be reduced to the biological. Memes can exist because they are good at surviving, not because they help genes.
- emphasizes difference between adapted and adaptive. Makes claims that behaviors are adapted to historical situation, not adaptive in current one.
- Human evolution and climate change : http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/092011.html
- Report of a talk by RobertKurzban in Ev.Psy and GameTheory : http://tdaxp.blogspirit.com/archive/2005/12/01/university-of-pennsylvania-evolutionary-psychologist-visits.html