Context : AlternativesToCompanies (at least for creating software, design)
A general competition. Offer a prize for the best or first or fastest example of something. (And by the way you keep some rights to it.)
- the prize money
- the fame
Get a group together for the challenge of creating something quickly. Maybe goes back to TheGreatEggRace or beyond. For example a team of 6 people is challanged to build a machine to transport and egg, or map an island, or play the flute or piece of weblog software in a limited time with limited resources.
- group spirit (Meatball:BarnRaising)
- maybe prize money if sponsored
- TopCoder : (compare http://www.topcoder.com/?t=development&c=index (compare DesignOutpost)
- An example Python Sprint : http://seapig.org/NorthwestPythonSprint
- Guess maybe the XPrize for private space exploration is one of these, too.
- (WarpLink) PredictiveMarkets