JoelSpolsky's on promoting your software as a platform :
- (Barriers http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000054.html (Barriers to entry, chicken and egg problem, deadlock)
- (Barriers http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000052.html (Barriers to entry, including permission to leave)
- (The http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/StrategyLetterV.html (The CommoditizeYourComplements one)
- Don't rewrite ThePerfectRewrite
JeremyZawodny's Where is everywhere?
- talks http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/002931.html talks about the three things a succesful InternetPlaya should do :
** do something very well
** find a way to share and channel any revenues to users (Amazon affiliates, Google AdWords)
The Zawodny piece doesn't really discuss another important question. Can you plan for these or is each step dependent on the previous. Must you already have a hit, popular site which is a leader at what it does before you start worrying about steps 2 and 3, or can you simply include 2 and 3 from the first moment, hoping they'll also drive popularity?
- More advice on winning them : http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/05/01/issue/ferguson0105.asp?p=3
- Raise complexity, scare the monkeys : http://enthusiasm.cozy.org/archives/2005/04/complexity-and-condensation/ (Contrast EvolutionOfComplexity)
See also :